Frequently Asked Questions
Question: HOW CAN I TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MODEL AGENCY, A MODEL MANAGEMENT COMPANY OR MODELING SCHOOL?
Answer: Start off by asking them on the telephone- Are you a licensed model & talent agency? Judging solely by the name of the company can be difficult. A model management company CAN BE a licensed model agency--just ask. It is mandatory that model agencies post their talent license on the wall--check when visiting. If the model company "sells" courses, programs, photo-shoots or zed cards, then they are NOT a licensed model agency. Only a licensed model agency can procure work for models and take a commission.
Question: DO I NEED TO ATTEND A MODELING SCHOOL TO BECOME A MODEL?
Answer: NO. Modeling schools are optional. Taking workshops can be extremely helpful to educate you, but attending a modeling school does not mean you are a professional model. Licensed model and talent agencies will represent models with or without training. Actors should definitely attend professional acting workshops.
Question: HOW DO I FIND A MODEL AGENCY RIGHT FOR ME?
Answer: It depends on what your "look" is. RESEARCH all the model and talent agencies near you from the yellow pages or Internet. CALL each of them and ask their age and Ht requirement for new faces. LISTEN to their guidelines and FOLLOW-UP with their instructions. If you can, attend OPEN CALL, ask questions and if it feels right--GO FOR IT. If no response, keep researching or re-submit different pictures every 6 months.
Question: I FOUND A MODEL AGENCY AND THEY WANT TO SIGN ME! WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR PICTURES AND ZED CARDS?
Answer: Required tools such as a portfolio and zed cards are an "investment" made by the model. Without these "tools" you will not be marketed to clients. You must prove to the model agent that you are serious and willing to test and create an "image" worth marketing. The model agency cannot possibly pay for every model they sign--EVERY model is great. Sometimes a model agency will "advance" a test and/or zed card--but this only means that you pay for it later. Consider testing as much as you can afford--the agent will be delighted and your Zed card will look professional. You can quickly advance from a "new face" to a working model if you spend your money on testing. Keep your receipts---as required tools for the industry, testing and zed cards are a write-off for models.
Question: WHY IS THE PORTFOLIO SO IMPORTANT? HOW MANY PICTURES SHOULD BE IN MY BOOK?
Answer: A portfolio is used by the model and the agency to showcase your "image" and versatility to the clients. Without a book you do not exist! You are judged 80% by your portfolio--its composition, creativity, expressions and personality--all translate through photography. Clients hire models who are fantastic behind the camera--and the book will reveal who you are as a model. The other 20% is personality, overall look /style and professionalism. But don't skimp on the professionalism--always be the best you can be! A new face can start with EIGHT great shots in their book. The more you test, the better your book and better the booking or travel opportunities. Eventually, 18-25 pictures are perfect. Quality not quantity is best. An overloaded and cluttered book is unacceptable. The model agent will edit the photos and arrange your portfolio.
Question: WHAT COMES FIRST THE PORTFOLIO OR THE ZED CARD?
Answer: The portfolio is arranged first (after testing with several photographers)--then the zed card is created.
Question: WHAT HIGH SCHOOL OR COLLEGE CLASSES CAN I TAKE TO ASSIST ME WITH MY MODELING CAREER?
Answer: *Foreign Languages *Geography *Drama *Photography *Marketing/Business/Communication/Public Relations